Auto Insurance in Kansas (KS)

If You Are Paying More Than $1,218.88 on Auto Insurance in Kansas, You Are Paying Too Much.

Insurance Calculator Inc. partners with the top-rated insurance providers in Kansas. An average consumer saves $330.12 on auto insurance quotes with us. Consumers in Kansas who are with existing auto insurance policies can also benefit from "switch-and-save" discounts of up to 15%.

Instant Quotes from Top-Rated Insurance Providers in Kansas


Auto Insurance Industry in Kansas

  • An average consumer pays $1,549.00 on auto insurance
  • 210 of every 100,000 vehicles are reported stolen every year
  • Accident fatality rate of 1.31%
  • Of all accidents: 63% are road-way accidents, 20% are intersection accidents, and 15% of all accidents involve at least 1 truck.

Like others, the great state of Kansas has auto liability insurance requirements for its residents. Whether you are new to the state or a first-time driver, you must be in compliance with Kansas insurance laws to legally drive on its highways and streets.

Kansas' Minimum Requirements on Auto Insurance

Generally, Kansas has a no-fault insurance system where the insurance provider is responsible for physical injury payments regardless of fault after an accident. Kansas has three types of auto insurance coverage that residents must obtain to legally operate vehicles in the state:

  • Auto liability
  • Personal injury protection (PIP)
  • Uninsured/underinsured motorist

The minimum auto liability insurance requirements in Kansas for private passenger drivers include:

  • Bodily injury per person: $25,000
  • Bodily injury per accident: $50,000
  • Property damage per accident: $10,000

Minimum PIP in Kansas includes:

  • Medical expenses: $4,500 per person
  • Loss of income and/or disability income for one year: $900
  • In-home services per day for one year: $25
  • Funeral expenses, including burial or cremation services: $2,000
  • Rehabilitation expenses: $4,500

Minimum uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance coverage includes:

  • Per person: $25,000
  • Per accident: $50,000

There are two acceptable ways that drivers can show proof of auto insurance in the state. Companies authorized to sell auto insurance in Kansas must notify the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) when your coverage expires. If you are stopped by a law enforcement officer, you must produce an insurance identification certificate. This can be obtained from your insurance provider.

You are subject to penalties enforced by Kansas law if you fail to maintain financial responsibility for driving on Kansas roads. Not having proof is a Class B misdemeanor that includes a fine up to $1,000 for the first offense. If you do not pay the fine, you may receive a six-month jail sentence.

A second offense within three years of the first results in a $2,500 fine. You may also lose your vehicle registration and have your driver’s license suspended. Before both are reinstated, you must pay reinstatement fees and show that you have obtained insurance.

Consumer Car Licensing Information in Kansas

Kansas drivers can apply for a driver’s license through a local DMV office. The state offers the following types of standard licenses:

  • Class C - for residents who drive passenger vehicles and farm trucks. This license is also issued to volunteer fire truck drivers and for towing when the gross combined weight rating (GCWR) is less than 26,001 lbs.
  • Noncommercial Class A - for residents who drive combination vehicles, with the exception of farm trucks, that have a GCWR of 26,001 lbs. or more.
  • Noncommercial Class B - for residents who wish to drive a single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more. Exceptions include trucks used with a volunteer fire department or farm trucks.

Every county, except Wichita and Jefferson, have a DMV office. Some offices administer both the written test and road skills test. Others may offer limited services.

First-time drivers must present proof of identification and pass a vision test. The written and road tests are also required. You do not need to take either test if you have a valid out-of-state driver’s license.

A six-year license is available for drivers ages 21 to 64 who pass the road test. A four-year license is available for drivers age 65 and older who pass the road test.

Motorcycle Licensing Information in Kansas

To obtain motorcycle driving privileges in Kansas, you must first have a regular driver’s license. The Class M motorcycle endorsement is added to the license after you pass three tests: vision, written motorcycle and an on-cycle skills test.

Each test is designed to determine whether you have the skills necessary to drive a motorcycle on a variety of road conditions. You can demonstrate driving proficiency for safely operating a motorcycle. Traffic and road conditions can vary from a snow day in Kansas to a bright summer haze.

You might avoid taking the on-cycle road test for a motorcycle endorsement. Successful completion of a motorcycle driver’s education course could determine your mastery of basic motorcycle skills.

Generally, motorcycle endorsement fees are paid separate from the Class C driver’s license. The fee is also based on the length of time you want the license. A four-year Class M license costs $9; a six-year license costs $12.50.

Commercial Vehicle Licensing Information in Kansas

The Kansas Department of Revenue (KDOR) issues a commercial driver’s license (CDL) to drivers who will operate commercial vehicles. Essentially, there are three classes - Class A, B or C - for which you may apply. Drivers who are at least 18 years old may receive a CDL for intrastate driving. This qualifies drivers to only travel within the state of Kansas. Interstate driving, which gives driving privileges inside and outside Kansas, is allowed for drivers who are at least 21 years old.

Kansas follows the standard CDL requirements set by federal guidelines, which keeps a uniform class of CDLs for every state. Certain types of commercial vehicles and equipment require additional endorsements and cost $10 each. This involves additional testing to ensure you receive proper training and knowledge to operate different commercial vehicles. Some of the most common types of vehicles and equipment include:

  • Tank vehicle - "N" endorsement with a knowledge test
  • School bus - "S" endorsement with a knowledge and skills test
  • Passenger vehicle - "P" endorsement with a knowledge and skills test
  • Hazardous materials - "H" endorsement with a knowledge test
  • Double/triple trailers - "T" endorsement with a knowledge test

Appointments are not necessary for CDL testing at the license exam stations. However, not every station have appropriate equipment to handle testing for CDLs.

The fees for a CDL in Kansas costs $29, which includes the exam and photograph. If you get a CDL with a motorcycle endorsement, the fee increases to $38.

More Resources on Auto Insurance in Kansas

Department of Insurance