Auto Insurance in Vermont (VT)

If You Are Paying More Than $1,091.16 on Auto Insurance in Vermont, You Are Paying Too Much.

Insurance Calculator Inc. partners with the top-rated insurance providers in Vermont. An average consumer saves $175.84 on auto insurance quotes with us. Consumers in Vermont who are with existing auto insurance policies can also benefit from "switch-and-save" discounts of up to 15%.

Instant Quotes from Top-Rated Insurance Providers in Vermont


Auto Insurance Industry in Vermont

  • An average consumer pays $1,267.00 on auto insurance
  • 70 of every 100,000 vehicles are reported stolen every year
  • Accident fatality rate of 0.97%
  • Of all accidents: 68% are road-way accidents, 15% are intersection accidents, and 15% of all accidents involve at least 1 truck.

Vermont’s reputation of being an independent state does not exempt residents from complying with driving laws. Every resident who wishes to drive legally in Vermont must demonstrate financial responsibility for this privilege. Typically, this requires having auto liability insurance or self-insurance.

Vermont's Minimum Requirements on Auto Insurance

The requirement for demonstrating financial responsibility proves that you are able to cover damages after an accident. While most residents buy auto liability insurance to fulfill this responsibility, the state allows other options to be in compliance.

One option is to purchase a surety bond. Another option is a self-insurance filing with the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles for $115,000.

Most Vermont residents opt to buy auto liability insurance from a licensed provider. The minimum state requirements for an auto liability insurance policy include:

  • $25,000 for one person’s physical injury or death
  • $25,000 for physical injury or death to two or more persons
  • $10,000 for property damage

If you buy an insurance policy, the insurance company will issue an identification card. This gives you documented proof of insurance and financial responsibility. You should keep this card in your vehicle and use it to:

  • Register and inspect your vehicle
  • Show proof of insurance after an accident
  • Give to a law enforcement officer if you are stopped for a traffic violation

In addition, the insurance company will submit proof of insurance coverage to the Commissioner’s office. Both the identification card and information submitted by the insurance company will include the effective dates of coverage, your name, description of your vehicle, insurance provider name, and liability limits.

There are penalties associated with failing to maintain financial responsibility. You must show proof of insurance when you register your vehicle with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Failing to show proof or allowing coverage to lapse will result in a civil traffic citation. You will receive points against your driver’s license and have to pay a fine. Additionally, you could also have your driver’s license revoked for not having insurance during an accident.

Consumer Car Licensing Information in Vermont

As a Vermont resident, you can obtain a Class D driver’s license to operate private passenger vehicles. The state issues driver’s licenses to first-time adult drivers, teenagers and new residents with a valid license from a different state. A written test, vision screening and driving test are required to receive a Class D license.

If you recently moved to Vermont and have an out-of-state license, you are not required to take the road test. This test is required if your out-of-state driver’s license has been expired for more than one year.

Tests are given on a walk-in basis at a local DMV but you are encouraged to schedule an appointment. On the day of the tests, you should provide:

  • Proof of legal identity
  • Proof that you are a Vermont resident
  • Valid social security number

A two-year Class D driver’s license costs $30 and the four-year license costs $48. If you need to take the driving test, the fee is $48 for a two-year license and $66 for the four-year license.

Motorcycle Licensing Information in Vermont

Vermont DMV issues a Class M endorsement for residents who want to drive a motorcycle. Before obtaining an endorsement, you must be at least 16 years old and apply for a motorcycle learner permit. The motorcycle permit application is available at any DMV office. You will need a Vermont driver’s license before applying for the permit if you are older than 17.

There is a written test to obtain a motorcycle permit that consists of 25 questions. The fee is $7 and the permit is valid for 120 days. During this time, you can practice your motorcycle skills before taking the on-cycle skills test to receive the Class M endorsement. You may also take the on-cycle test at any time during the 120 days.

The skills test measures your motorcycle driving ability for handling a bike, response skills and riding judgment. To take the on-cycle skills test, you will need:

  • A valid insurance card
  • A DOT approved helmet
  • Class D driver’s license
  • Motorcycle learner permit
  • Goggles

The cost for a motorcycle endorsement is $2 per year, which equals $4 for a two-year license and $8 for a four-year license.

Commercial Vehicle Licensing Information in Vermont

Vermont’s DMV has a comprehensive program the covers commercial driver’s license (CDL) standards for the state. Generally, the state issues Class A, B and C CDLs based on the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the commercial vehicle for which you are applying.

Weight categories for CDL classes include:

  • Vehicles over 26,000 lbs. (Class A)
  • Trailers less than 10,000 lbs. with a combined weight more than 26,000 lbs. (Class B)
  • Vehicles 26,000 lbs. or less that carry more than 15 passengers or transport hazardous materials (Class C)

The state of Vermont also has age requirements for drivers who want to apply for a CDL. Generally, you must be at least 18 and have a Class 1 license to receive a CDL permit and license to drive commercial vehicles within the state. If you are 21 years old, you can obtain an interstate CDL. Hazardous materials endorsements are given to drivers age 18 for intrastate and 21 year old drivers for interstate.

To apply for a CDL, you must complete the following:

  • Pay $20 scheduling fee to the Montpelier DMV
  • Make a skills test appointment. Walk-ins are not accepted.
  • Certify whether you need an intrastate or interstate CDL
  • Provide a valid social security number
  • Submit proof of Vermont residency
  • Provide medical forms based on federal guidelines
  • Pass written, vision and on-road skills tests

The fee for a two-year CDL is $50 and a four-year is $75. There is an additional $10 for each endorsement and $30 for the skills test.

More Resources on Auto Insurance in Vermont

Department of Insurance