Applying for Driver License in California
To drive on the road in the state if California, you must have a valid license and an insurance coverage policy with sufficient liability coverage. In this article, you will find how to obtain a driver's license in California and how to become insured.
Provisional Driving Permit
For individuals between the age of 15 to 18, provisional permit allows drivers to drive on the road but under one condition - you must be accompanied by a licensed driver 25 years or older.
To apply for a provisional permit:
- You must be at least 15 years old but less than 18 years old
- You must complete an application form DL 44
- On the application form DL 44, you must have your parents' or guardians' signatures
- You must provide a thumb print during application
- You must have a photo taken during application
- You must provide your social security number and verify your birth date with an official government ID
- You must pass a vision exam conducted by a DMV officer
- You must provide a Certificate of Completion of Driver Education, or a Certificate of Completion of Driver Education and Driver Training, or a Certificate of Enrollment in an integrated Driver Education and Driver Training Program
- You must pass the traffic laws and sign test by scoring at least 39 out of 46 questions
- You must pay an application fee
Regular Driving Permit
A driving test is required before one is given out a regular driving permit. A regular driving permit allows one to drive on the road without any restrictions. To obtain a regular driving permit:
- You must hold a valid provisional permit and have held it for at least 6 months
- You must be 16 years or older
- You must have completed driver education
- You must have completed 6 hours of professional driver training
- You must have completed 50 hours of on-the-road driving practice accompanied by a licensed adult 25 years or older. 10 of the 50 hours must have been completed at night.
The state of California requires drivers to have minimum liability coverage before they are permitted to drive on the road. Insurance Calculator Inc. partners with the leading insurance companies throughout the state. Submit your ZIP code and start comparing quotes in seconds - find the best coverage at the lowest rate.
Click here for more information on the Auto Insurance Industry in California.
Previously on Our Insurance Blog
- How to Protect Yourself in a Car Accident - Steps to Take
- Save More on Car Insurance by Improving the Security Rating of Your Vehicle